The «Swarm+ investigation of energetic ion up/outflow» («Swarm+ Outflow») project is led by Dr. Spencer Hatch at the Birkeland Centre for Space Science.
The central purpose of «Swarm+ Outflow» is to «determine how Swarm spacecraft measurements of ionospheric plasmas and electromagnetic fields, together with measurements from other satellite missions and ground-based instruments, can be used to fill knowledge gaps related to the phenomenon of ‘energetic ion outflow,'» or the intense loss of ionospheric-origin ions within and near the high-latitude auroral zone.
The project consists of five lines of inquiry:
- Swarm-EISCAT conjunctions: Correlated electron temperatures, upward flow velocities, and small-scale B-field fluctuations
- Swarm Echo: correlated upward flow velocities and field fluctuations
- Swarm-Cluster conjunctions
- Correlation between electron temperature and density, and ion upward velocity, with small-scale electromagnetic waves observed by Swarm
- Swarm density measurements: hemispheric asymmetry in polar cap ionosphere plasma density around equinox?
- Study 1 – Hatch et al. (2020), JGR: Space Physics – «Relationship between cusp-region ion outflows and east-west magnetic field fluctuations in Southern and Northern Hemispheres», doi:10.1029/2019JA027454
- Study 2 – Hatch et al. (submitted to JGR: Space Physics), «Seasonal and hemispheric asymmetries in the cold ion outflow source region: Swarm and CHAMP observations of F-region polar cap plasma density», pre-print on ESSOAr
- Study 3 – Hatch et al. (in preparation), «The role of geomagnetic activity and solar wind driving in the cold ion outflow source region: Swarm and CHAMP observations of F-region polar cap plasma density» (PDF of EGU 2020 presentation)
- (06 May 2020) «Hemispheric and seasonal variations in the cold plasma outflow source region: polar cap ionosphere electron density at 350–500 km,» D1142, EGU 2020, doi:10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-21247
- (19 Sep 2019) Swarm Data Quality Workshop presentation, Prague, Czech Republic (PDF)
- CHAMP and Swarm solar activity- and height-scaled polar cap plasma density measurements (doi:10.5281/zenodo.3813146)
- List of conjugate observations used
- Combined Swarm/CHAMP F-region plasma density database, adjusted for differences in solar activity and altitude